“The remedy for thirst? It is the opposite of the one for a dog bite: run always after a dog, he’ll never bite you; drink always before thirst, and it will never overtake you.” ~François Rabelais
Last weekend AJ participated in a fundraiser for a non-profit organization, HOPE Worldwide. The event was titled “Hoops for Hope” and AJ along with many other members of our church played basketball for 24 hrs. to raise money for this awesome charity. AJ was one of 40 “core members” who promised to raise at least $100 each and to stay for the whole 24 hrs. of the event. It was a very successful event that raised over $5,000. 75% of the money raised is funding a hospital in La Paz, Bolivia and the other 25% will go towards our local community work.
Here he is after playing basketball for 24 hrs. and just before we hit up our local juice and salad bar to refuel!
Since my husband was going to be playing basketball for 24 hrs. I knew he would need a drink that would help to replenish electrolytes lost in sweat. I also knew that I wasn’t going to give him one the the mainstream sports drinks that are full of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colorings. So after doing a bit of research, I came up with this concoction! It’s made up of only a few simple ingredients, tastes good, and replaces all the needed electrolytes and natural sugars for your body. Both salt and sugar help the body regulate and retain water in order to prevent dehydration.
The secret is in the salt. Himalayan sea salt is thought to be the purest form of salt on the earth. It is about 250 million years old and is mined from the foothills of the Himalayas. This salt is different from your everyday salt because it contains no chemicals or additives and it actually helps to hydrate your body. Some of the benefits are that it regulates the water content in your body, regulates oxygen levels in blood, gives more energy, contains 84 minerals, detoxifies the body, and helps with circulation and blood pressure. When I first read up on this amazing salt I thought for sure it would be really expensive, but this container was only $4! Last, but not least: it’s pink!!
The raw honey serves as the natural sweetener but also helps to replace needed sugars in the body. Honey is most easily digested in it’s raw state. Containing over 30 detoxifying compounds, lemon is a great choice for flavoring this healthy sports drink.
All-Natural Sports Drink (1 serving)
1 quart (4 cups) of pure filtered water
1/4 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
1 Tbsp. raw honey
juice of 1 lemon
12 drops of liquid stevia or to taste (optional)
1. Put salt into the bottom of a pitcher. Heat the water in microwave until warm- about 2 minutes. Pour heated water into pitcher.
2. Add honey to warm, salted water. Stir until salt and honey are completely dissolved. Add lemon juice, and stevia to sweeten if desired. Stir until well mixed. Chill in refrigerator until you are ready to drink it!
Makes 1 liter.
Meet our cat, Phil.
Although he is almost 8 years old- he is our baby. We seriously talk about him and to him like he’s our child. Apart from being a total baby…here are some things you should know about Phil.
1. He has a foot fetish. If you come over, he must smell your feet and then find your shoes. You are most likely to find him sitting on our shoes.
2. He loves to be around people.
3. He loves to eat. (He gets this from his Mom)
4. He whines persistently when he wants something. (He gets this from his Dad, just kidding!)
5. Favorite foods: cat food, catnip, string cheese, tuna, bacon, fresh pasta.
Right now he’s wondering what in the world Mom is going to do with this bag of coconut?
Could she be making a delicious raw treat? Perhaps… :)